Social Gaming Scene
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Gaming Scene

Roleplaying, Table Top Gaming, Shenanigans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Love, Life and DnD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyTue 15 Jun 2010 - 11:16

Well I figured since we are now into a brake period of the campaign I would take the time to put to paper some of my thoughts on the game so far and into where we take it from here.

My thoughts on 4e:

Spoiler:

My thoughts on the campaign so far.

Spoiler:

Where to go from here?

Spoiler:

Your opinions.

Spoiler:

Ok guys my laundry is aired.

Please respond.
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyWed 16 Jun 2010 - 17:27

Matty. You have obviously been thinking long and hard about this. ha I said long and hard. Look I'm happy with what ever you're happy with........Just fucking with you I'm not copping out like that.

Look I agree that the game moved more smoothly earlier in the campaign. However I think you are not giving the recent story arc enough credit. The Ruins of Araad played out well and finished nicely. I for one loved that whole sequence and the comfortable niche my character had built himself. I can only give an opinion based on the character experiences I have had. Although the "incident" left my character so far away from the goals and set up he was hoping for, I'm not going to cry like a WOW player who woke up and found all his fat horse points missing.

I can see this through. Have a break and see if you can think of ways to make this new setting work. I wont say I want to try a new campaign unless someone throws out some suggestions for a long term setting. I can see what you mean that 4th ed steers the gamers towards lazy role playing, but I would at least like to think that I have tried to actually role play through a situation with out just trying to blast everything.

I have enjoyed your DM style. Admittedly there are points where you have cock blocked our creativity a bit, but I feel that could be more to do with your dislike of the edition. if you start a new one I would like to keep it in the fantasy genre.

Having said all that I am interested in hearing what you would do if you didn't give a toss what we thought. Gun to your head what do you want?
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!
Patty

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 1:45

Pat's replies to things he feels like commenting on right now.

Pat's thoughts on 4e

Spoiler:

Pat's thoughts on the campaign so far

Spoiler:

Pat's thoughts on where to go from here?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://fatdicks.forumotion.com
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 8:13

Interesting coments so far guys and a few of them got me thinking as well.

Patty wrote:
Character death is always a bad thing. Save from the 50,000xp you get for experiencing death, there are no points in its favor.

Patty have you ever con'd anybody into giving you exp for dieing?

The problem with takeing out character death or the risk of it anyway is that there is no point to the characters life. With out risk why bother picking up the dice at all, we may as well just say every combat is won buy you gys and just hand out horse points and exp.

Patty wrote:
As I've stated before, I'm having a great time. Heroic tier WAS fast paced and there were always doins a' transpiring. We always had something to do, something to get, something to kill. The party was driven to finding and stopping an evil cult in their attempts to destroy the world as we knew it. With our few contacts and trusty clerical quest giver we were never at a loss for adventure.

Now, things have slowed down a lot. While this may have something to do with the change from heroic to paragon teir, lets not overlook the change of scenery. Paragon tier started (if i remember goodly enough) in the shadow fell, which was awesome. It was a step up from Harril, a good solid transition from heroic to paragon. For lack of a better analogy it was like going from frankston shopping centre to chadstone. Frankston is fine, but i honestly still get lost at chadston. That place is huge and confusing.

So... after learning about the possibility of planar travel and experiencing first hand the massive scale of things outside our own little circle of earth, we went home. In my opinion this is where it slowed down. Home, as it turned out had become very very boring since we left, because as it turned out everyone else had left too. So we followed them. across an ocean to a small port on a distant isle. Here is where it changed from driven to dawdling.

Hornet wrote:
Look I agree that the game moved more smoothly earlier in the campaign. However I think you are not giving the recent story arc enough credit. The Ruins of Araad played out well and finished nicely. I for one loved that whole sequence and the comfortable niche my character had built himself.

Both of these points got me to thinking, which after the initial pain had become bearable brought me to the following point. After leaving the shadowfell is where i loosened the reins in an attempt at leting the players drive. I thought the story had been a bit constricting for a while and decided it was time to see what you lot would do with a little more fredom to act.

Maybe that was a bad choice?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!
Patty

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 18:11

demi sex god from hell wrote:
After leaving the shadowfell is where i loosened the reins in an attempt at leting the players drive. I thought the story had been a bit constricting for a while and decided it was time to see what you lot would do with a little more fredom to act.

Maybe that was a bad choice?

Not bad on the whole, maybe it was just a comparativley limiting place to have freedom.

Perhaps some blending of the two modes could be done.

Keep the reigns loose, but when we're all sitting around looking dumbfounded, throw us a bone. Rather than leaving us all sit around for half the session picking each others butts.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 20:10

Patty wrote:

Not bad on the whole, maybe it was just a comparativley limiting place to have freedom.

The city of gates is a Limiting place?
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!
Patty

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 20:12

Matt wrote:
Patty wrote:

The city of gates is a Limiting place?

No, the remote jungle isle.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 21:11

Ow that was just you guys grabing onto the first hook i threw out.
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!
Patty

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptyFri 18 Jun 2010 - 14:45

Aye, that it was.
None the less, being on a primative island weeks of ocean travel away from real civilisation can limit options.

Not blaming you in any way. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptySun 20 Jun 2010 - 15:15

After chatting with Patty last night i got to thinking.

How much do you think it would lessen your enjoyment each week if at all if we wernt playing our current campaign but playing something else?

I know its not the easiest question to answer but give it some thought.
Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptySun 20 Jun 2010 - 18:28

What did you have in mind?

Are your feelings on our current state of game that this is a more appealing option?
Back to top Go down
http://www.TradeCardsOnline.com/user/physicist
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptySun 20 Jun 2010 - 19:02

Physicist wrote:
What did you have in mind?

Are your feelings on our current state of game that this is a more appealing option?

I am not 100% sure i get what your trying to say here JD.

But, what i am trying to get at is...

...How important is the game to your level of enjoyment?

its more of a hypothetical rather then anything overly serious.

Just interested to know.

If game "X" became game "y" would that make your rp nights less fun? and if so by how much?
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptySun 20 Jun 2010 - 19:08

Look I'm happy to keep playing this campaign as I like where my character is going. Having said that I am starting to get the urge for a change of appearance in the roll playing sessions.
If you would like a change I would vote yes as I would prefer to write a new character in a setting you were happy to DM. I still would like it to be in the same vane of D&D though. Weather it be discworld, D&D 3rd or 4th ed or even war craft pen and paper. Your gathering idea might work but I am still on this fantasy setting genre hit now. If you wanted to take a permanent step away from the DM chair I would be happy to run a long term werewolf campaign. As of now I could only see myself running a World of darkness system be it vampires, WOD ar werewolf.

I also vote we see how the space opera campaign of JD's goes and see if that is worth sticking to for a while. It may turn out to be worth a go long term. Far be it for me to offer a difinative opinion on what would be best for the group but which ever avenue we choose we need to commit to it as a group. Lets face it. A campaign can run over a couple of years before you know it, you don't want to waste time playing something you're not in love with.
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!
Patty

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD EmptySun 20 Jun 2010 - 21:56

I'm pretty much happy to play anything, for me its more about catching up with you guys than anything else.

That being said... I would rather, if we're gonna play something else, that this campaign have some kind of end, rather than have it just stop.

We've fucked the world, let us go into the dead zone fight the big bad and close the rift into the vile nether.
Something like that, rather than just have a 4 session holiday that we never come back from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Love, Life and DnD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love, Life and DnD   Love, Life and DnD Empty

Back to top Go down

Love, Life and DnD
Page 1 of 1