Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 am

Ok im sitting at work doing the usual not working thing and i decided i need to start making notes on all the ideas i get for RP games but never write down and up forgetting.

I all so figure anybody who can be bothered reading can tell me which ideas interest them so i can better plan which idea i do next.

How i will do this is give the idea a name, note a rule system or potential systems and then put a breif outline of the idea in its current form. Plus i might point out some pros and cons of the idea.

Western Marches inspired game:

Braking the 4th wal!:

Shadow run suicide club.:

Gurps the Magicing!:

Homers epic meets Ninja scroll:

L5R:

Dungeon Marches!!:

Dark Sun:

Paranoia:

A hundred years from now, D&D 99.5E will have pared the game down to four skills - Hurting, Breaking, Living, and Talking. Talking will be a dump stat for most classes.
-The Glyphstone

Last edited by Matt on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 am

I am still down for the western marches style gaming. It allows players to be more flexible with their dates and it allows us to bring others in on the game for the casual sessions.

The 4th wall one seems odd. What is the benifit of trimming the fat/fluff? Is this counter balanced with better game mechanics?
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:51 am

Hornet wrote:

The 4th wall one seems odd. What is the benifit of trimming the fat/fluff?

Ahh my personal amusement lol, in all honesty i just would like to see what happens.

I havn't really explained it well here, i will expand when i have a chance.

I have other ideas to add to the list and i will sporadically chuck them on here

A hundred years from now, D&D 99.5E will have pared the game down to four skills - Hurting, Breaking, Living, and Talking. Talking will be a dump stat for most classes.
-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
angry_dan
Loves the cock
Loves the cock

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 am

in reading all of your ideas i have seen some cool ideas for people who are casual players.
good ideas all round. systems are cool too. i like 4th ed games. easy to learn.
for your magic based one and many of your other games i believe you should check out the wod books. mage and hunter would be epic for your magic one and the casual player one. with hunter though you will need at least 4 players in each game. and a few to be regulars as to keep the lvls and excitement high.
a good easy one for something with alot of casuals could be fug shui. running around the streets of past, present and future china kicking doors down and smashing faces of foreigners.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 am

angry_dan wrote:
for your magic based one and many of your other games i believe you should check out the wod books.

I have played a fair few WoD games over the years and they have some very good fluff but i find the rule system can be lacking for some situations.

The magic system for Gurps really allows you to do some amazing things with magic and focusing on diffrent aspects of spell casting.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 am

WoD is good if you want to work on a specific setting and set of magic. GURPS is awesome in as much as you can build on a core magic element and it's is not like you learn a shit load of diferent spells but evolve the magic you have.

L5R. Lets do it. I would get a full hard on for the 5 rings.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 am

Example of 4th wall braker in chr chat.

GT:Well that didnt exactly go to plans did it!
BS: I swear to Death God Galling Troublemaker if you don't shut up i will sheath my +2 Reaping long sword in your throat.
GT: Bahh Relax Brooding Swordsman and help me get this dead Orc of Overly Pious, besides i think its lying on my favorite +1 dagger.
EOM: Sillence both of you we are short of time!
BS+GT:!!!!
BS: We could have used you 3 turns ago Enigmatic Old Man!
EOM: There is no time for talk of such things, Big Orc Warlord and his raiding party are only 2 map hexs from here and you need to get to Good Paladin Fort and Warn Annoyingly Zelous God Boy so he can muster his forces in time!
BS: *Glares at EOM*
GT: Well thats all fine an dandy friend but Overly Pious here is about 3 hit points shy of the living, all of our dailies are expended and our mounts are bristling with about a random encounter and a half's worth of Orc arrows, so unless you have a Scroll of Portal hidden in that generic brown robe of yours we are more or less screwed!

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Here's my input towards all of this.
Please note, I haven't read anybodies replies prior to posting.

Western Marches inspired game:

Breaking the 4th wal!:

Shadow run suicide club.:

Gurps the Magicing!:

Homers epic meets Ninja scroll:

L5R:

Dungeon Marches!!:

Last edited by Patty on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I was busy ass ramming your mother and i forgot something. Deal with it.)
Back to top Go down
http://fatdicks.forumotion.com
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:36 am

Patty wrote:
tl dr

Yeah Patty i know your love for over arching story lines.

I think with the western marhes ideas, 99% of rolls would be done on the table in plain view and the driving force of the game really becomes about braging rights, you will live and die by your own actions more then in any other style of game mainly because you shed the plot armour that you often recieve in other games.

Being the first to venture into the strange ravine in the middle of the old woods and come back alive.

Telling tails about the time you faced down 4 trolls solo on the stinking marshes and showing the magical sword you brought back as a trophy.

I don't know i guess its not for everybody but as a DM it sounds more inviting then forever having to come up with plot hooks to drag players along your story line.

-The Glyphstone

Last edited by Matt on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pineapples)
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 am

Expanding on the Gurps the Magicing idea:

The idea i had is that the players are all members of some globe spanding powerfull Mage guild.

The main plot for the campaign would be that When the leader of the mage guild dies, a group of anchient constructs created by the guilds founders back in the long long ago whisk in and steal away the McGuffin and take it to a random location and then plant a series of cryptic clues around the place re its location.

Now by the law of the Mage guild the first of its members to find the McGuffin and bring it back to the main chamber of the guild house will become the new guild leader untill the time of his/her/its death.

The theory of this is that the guild will always be lead by if not the most powerfull of its members or at least the most crafty/inteligent/ruthless.

The rules are fairly simple.

*try not to destroy the world unless you are damn sure you can rebuild it as good if not better then it was.
*Members who are found to have killed other members during the competition are offically expelled from the competition.

Anyway, i havn't got much further then that with this idea as of yet.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 am

Expanding on the Western Marches idea:

I am leaning towards this idea at the moment mainly because it will allow many more people to be involved but i have been contemplating the *no over arching storyline* issue that turns some people off.

So one idea i came up with today is that if i give the area a rich but unknown history, that as the players involved start to discover peices of it they will get clues as to where the best areas of long lost loot may be found and where anchient evils dwell ect ect.

All so to add to this have some world events going on that may be influenced by player actions ect ect.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:06 am

Gurps the Magicing:

Had a bit of a chat with Patty about this one last night.

Bassicly figured out that maybe i need a turn system or something implemented.

Where every session or two each player would submit what they intened for their character to be doing for the next X ammount of time.

Similar to what used to happen in birthright for those of you who were involved in that.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:59 am

All so as a point of note you should voice your opinions on which ideas intrest you the most so it influences the choice for me when it comes to picking one.

Otherwise it will just be Patty in my ear and we all know how that turns out.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:24 am

L5R
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:51 am

Hornet wrote:
L5R

Saying L5R is kind of like saying DnD and apart from saying i would like to run it again i have no idea for a basis for the game.

But feel free to tell me what elements you would like to see in a potential L5R game.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:54 am

Matt wrote:
All so as a point of note you should voice your opinions on which ideas intrest you the most so it influences the choice for me when it comes to picking one.

I should note, this is msg is for everybody who has any intrest in playing in my games not just those who are currently in one of my games or have previously been involved in one.

The who and the how many for my next game is far from being determined at this point.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:34 am

Matt wrote:

Thats right boys... leave it all up to me and its guaranteed to be AWESOME!

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:35 pm

ok im watching true blood and now i want to play WoD

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 am

Dark Sun:

Paranoia:

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:51 am

Patty wrote:

Dark Sun:

Paranoia:

he he "Cthulhu"

And no paranioa generaly seems to end/start with the players killing each oether.

But dont worry you have a 6 pack of clones.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:50 am

Western Marches thoughts:

It occured to me last night in deans campagin that most combats in 4e take at minimum an hour and generally an 1.1/2 to 2hrs to play out.

Seeing as how each session generally goes for no more then 5 or 6 hrs these days that would mean at most your getting 2 combats in per session.

Which isnt good.

will have to think about.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Maybe doing it in Gurps would be better, combat seems to be a lot gritter and faster.

Or maybe just look at a diffrent option.

eehhhh sigh,

emo dm is emo.

EDIT: OWWW 555 posts! awesome.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Downloaded the all the nWoD books because i was bored last night.

Still unsure on the whole.

Giving more thought to playing Gurps.

JD's coments on the weekend about seeing Western Marches as a big old combat simulator worry me, if to many people look at it that way = suck<fun.

hmmmm

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 pm

hmmm

Been reading articles on Western march style games.

Found this one from Gabe on Penny arcade.

seemed interesting.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 am

Gave some thought to joing up to one of the local gaming clubs again and running the games out of there.

Pros:
Gives a neutral ground for players to get involved.
Chance of getting other people involved.

Cons:
Not sure if there are any good clubs ou there these days.
probably other stuff i cant think of right now.

-The Glyphstone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   

Back to top Go down

Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next