Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:39 am

It's funny reading through this thread.  It's also a bit weird thinking its almost four years old now.

It has/is performing its purpose well though.  It constantly reminds me of old trains of thoughts, games and ideas.  So i guess i better give it a bit of an update to consolidate thoughts and leave a record for future me.

The Now:

Currently running a Savage worlds game in the Mass Effect (video game setting).  Game is going well, coming up on its 5th session.)  
The purpose for the game (apart from "fun") was to test the Savage worlds system (a system i had read and looked at many times in the past two years but never actually played/run).  And to experiment with a few GMin techniques that i either needed to try or polish.

A few key notes:  

Savage worlds system is fairly well rounded and fun system.  Plays quick and fun.  Seems like it would be well suited for a lot of my game ideas as it can be run with minimal prep.

Have been practicing minimal prep GM.  Running games with a few vague ideas noted down and a much more reactive style.  So far its working ok.  I need more practice at not letting the game get to drab due to bland reactions.  Need more practice at encouraging players into creating their own plots.  

Have been playing around with releasing more control of the narrative over to random plot elements generators and player control.  So far the results seem good, improving my reactive GM skills should improve this more.

The Future:

I want to run the ME for a while longer.  Keep it going while it is fun and interesting, but not until it stagnates or becomes repetitive.

I want to have another crack at the Power and Gavin game i ran previously.  Conceptually maybe more then a rinse and repeat.  I think savage worlds would be a good rule system for it, along with my realm control system if i can ever manage to finish it.

I also want to have another crack at Numenera.  I ran one session and enjoyed it.  I like the system and the world.  I like a lot of the interesting elements for story telling the system try's to push.

I had another think about that Magic the gathering concept i was playing with a couple years back.  Here is a concept reboot for later reference;
The world (setting) has a powerful and secretive magical guild, who sit above the more visible state and country rulers.  Over the last "long period of time" they have subtly controlled the course of history and the development of "setting".  The guild very selectively recruits potential new members from all across the "setting" and puts them into a school of sorts (see Hogwarts) where they receive further training/schooling.  Every 50 years or so the school holds an event where selected members of the recruits are given the chance to compete to become full members of the guild.  The selected recruits are divided into "x number" of groups with "about 5 or 6" members in each.  The groups are then pitted against each other in a world spanning, treasure hunt/race, to find the hidden door to access the Guild super secret HQ and the key which opens said door.  
Getting into the guild would be a big drive because membership offers perks like, untold power, access to knowledge not available elsewhere, an almost immortal life span blah blah and so on and so on.  Many recruits die from the harsh schooling environment or old age before ever being selected to compete for full membership.  

Anyway, its probably more achievable then original idea.  Players wouldn't be stereotypical mage types, more people of grate skill and cunning and super natural like abilities.  

I also still keen to have a crack at L5R.  

ehhh... thats enough for this post.  i need a nap.

Edit: ow and that Mutant Year 0 game from the post above still interests me.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am

I will be up for a go soon. Ryan's is coming to an end soon and I will run this story arc of werewolf then take a break.
I have others interested in trying one of your games.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 am

Hornet wrote:
I will be up for a go soon. Ryan's is coming to an end soon and I will run this story arc of werewolf then take a break.
I have others interested in trying one of your games.

Cool. I think i want to try another Power and Gavin style game again next. I have been doing a lot of thinking on ways to make it work better and i have been re tooling my Realm control rules, trying to get them fit for use.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:35 am

Ok so i have picked up the following items lately;

The Strange

Necessary Evil

Romnipotent
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:42 am

Matt wrote:
Ok so i have picked up the following items lately;

The Strange

Necessary Evil

NecEvil is a fun concept, high power style SW game. I had fun when I played it and I worked out the best builds with the most pp, crazy times.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:52 am

Ok had a game idea today that i wanted to chuck into storage before i forgot it.

Game is set in the battle tech/Mechwarrior setting (sort of, that setting is more detailed then really required).

The players are members of a long struggling merc group. After their last contract fell through they decided to go into partnership with an independent mining contractor who has picked up the deed and rights to planet in the edge systems. The planet has a rich "Vespian gas" deposits, and thanks to some recent technology released the value of the gas has risen to the point that its fairly profitable to mine if you can keep the overheads low.

The problem arrives once the mercs make planet fall and find out that the corp sold similar rights to three other mining groups. And thanks to some creative small print the land belongs to who ever can lay claim to it.

Coupled with that it turns out the planet isn't uninhabited as the contract suggested. Their is an enclave of religious fanatics that have been squatting on the planet for the last couple hundred years.

So its up to the players to try and turn lemons into lemonade. They have already invested a sizable amount of cash in getting their gear and equipment hauled out to the back of nowhere so withdrawing isn't really an option unless they want to leave most of what they brought behind.

I would probably use the Savage worlds system for this. I have the battle tech RPG system rules but i find they are far to complex for my tastes. Besides that the Sci Fi companion for SW has some really clean rules for vehicle combat and building and customizing all kinds of vehicles including mechs.

Anyway, if this is the kind of idea that interests anybody let me know.

Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Matt wrote:
Stuff

So I'm not terribly familiar with the mechwarrior setting, other than... Sci-fi where people use mechs for stuff. So I'm not sure I get your idea as well as others, that said, what I imagined when I read the stuff was at least interesting to enough to mention. I'm imagining a firefly style sci-fi western frontier edge planet, with a possibly doomtown inspired whately family type religious cult. 3 separate factions arrive to mine "vespene ghostrock", and there's huge fucking robots. Youu could have alot of cool stuff go on in a world like that.

+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Sounds quite interesting. Like patty I don't know a while lot about the mechwarrior setting. My knowledge of it begins and ends at mechs fighting each other. However the story itself does sound intriguing. You could do this without mechs, but I think they add a nice flavor to it.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:30 am

Patty wrote:
So I'm not terribly familiar with the mechwarrior setting, other than... Sci-fi where people use mechs for stuff.

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
Sounds quite interesting. Like patty I don't know a while lot about the mechwarrior setting. My knowledge of it begins and ends at mechs fighting each other.

Yeah the setting isn't so important. its mainly so there was kind of a pre established setting and history so i didn't have to make it all up. + the big advantage is there is a lot of information regarding mech's and vehicles for the setting. SO rather then having to come up with stuff, i can just stat what already exists. The deeper bs of the setting will still sorta be there, but it wont be so important because you are out in the boonies away from most of societies main political structure.

Patty wrote:
so I'm not sure I get your idea as well as others, that said, what I imagined when I read the stuff was at least interesting to enough to mention. I'm imagining a firefly style sci-fi western frontier edge planet, with a possibly doomtown inspired whately family type religious cult. 3 separate factions arrive to mine "vespene ghostrock", and there's huge fucking robots. Youu could have alot of cool stuff go on in a world like that.

Yeah this is sort of on the right track. I kinda like the idea of a game with some more serious hardware involved. Where the players can fly fighter aircraft/vtols or drive tanks or pilot mechs, along with other stuff. But there needs to be a bit more of a goal then highest kill count to drive the game along.

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
You could do this without mechs, but I think they add a nice flavor to it.

As history and the Disney corporation have taught us, any story can be done in any setting. But yes, i kinda just want mechs and tanks and planes and future tech but not a cramped urban sprawl type environment.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:13 am

Yeah possibly. I like the Firefly edge planet aspect which Patty imagined from this but I'm not sure how the tech would play out. I'm interested to hear more.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 am

Ok its 2016 - GMing plans for the year.

Finish NSZ - Should be done by the end of March

After that i think i will try and run Mutant: Year Zero. This game has some interesting ideas that i am keen to see played out.

Then it will either be another crack at getting a Numenera game going or finally running the L5R 4e i owe JD for buying me the book.

Physicist
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:17 am

Matt wrote:
finally running the L5R 4e i owe JD for buying me the book.
Lol.

Hornet wrote:
Ignore as I am a retard

Hornet wrote:
I'm literally gagging for one.

Hornet wrote:
Shamus of the prolapsed anus perhaps

OMNIS QVI CORVSCAT EST OR
Back to top Go down
http://www.TradeCardsOnline.com/user/physicist
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:37 am

Ok game idea.

4e dnd game; 2 reasons. Reason one, fuck buying another editions worth of books. already done that 3 times. Reason two, im interested to see if i could make a better go of it with 6 or so more years of experience under my belt.

Game starts with the players at level one and progresses normally for say 3 or so sessions. Develop some player relationships. Some world details, yadda yadda.

Then roll the characters forward "x" years and up to level 20. Play some high power fantasy and try out the tier of 4e that i never tried either as a player or GM.

Anyway, as always, just an idea for the record.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:52 am

This idea is something I would definitely be into
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:45 am

An idea I have had, possibly something to do in the future.

Setting: Savage Worlds - Weird War 2.

In the early days of the war the Nazi blitzkrieg was advancing across Europe faster than anybody thought possible. Before anybody knew it, most of the continent was under Nazi control. In 1940 Winston Churchill authorized the forming of a military force that could carry out raids against German occupied Europe. And so it was that No. 2 Commando parachuted into Lille in German Occupied France, near the Belgian border. Their first mission was a disaster, and most of the unit were wiped out when ambushed by far greater German numbers than Intel had warned. Some good did come of the mission however, during a firefight in a mansion converted to Nazi headquarters, a Belgian scientist who had been coerced into developing weapons for the Nazis had been silenced, and his plans stolen. Now what is left of the unit must find there way to the coast, and across the channel back to England, to deliver the important documents to their superiors.

This would be a mini campaign that would be a very combat heavy dash through German lines, with the party discovering the paranormal side of the war along the way, ending when the party escapes France.
This could possibly lead into an ongoing game, where the large scale tactical combat would enter play.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:47 am

Another game idea.

Fantasy-esque setting. Everybody is undead/imortal (like intelligent zombie/skeletons etc). Undead survive off souls/soul energy (havn't locked this part down yet.) Primary place to get this energy is sentient living beings, the last of which went extinct decades ago. Play is based in large sprawling necropolis/cities.
Currency is souls.

Everything is starting to go nuts as the citizens realize that their immortality has soured and they are all destined to degenerate into mindless wandering undead.

That is as much as i have planed out at this point.

Undead will have cool power like stuff related to their undeath.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 am

I like the idea of souls as currency, and immortals having to contend with there own decay, but it seems you have a lot more to work out with this idea than some of your others.

+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:48 am

Another thought for a game.
This is something that I have had rolling around for a while, but never done anything about.

Setting: Fallout Universe

This would be a settlement building game, set in Wisconsin or Michigan, near the great lakes. The game would be about a group of people founding, and growing a new settlement, while contending with the usual fallout problems, Ie. raiders, super mutants, feral ghouls, supply shortages etc. I also had thoughts about a clash between the brotherhood of steel in the area and Canada's equivalent of the NCR coming south looking for more hospitable territory. This conflict would of course create difficulties for the settlers. While combat is definitely something that will be a common occurrence, this game will be more about the resource management.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:48 am

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
I like the idea of souls as currency, and immortals having to contend with there own decay, but it seems you have a lot more to work out with this idea than some of your others.

It writes itself Ryan.

My other current idea is as follows.

Set in current day.  Pc's play a group of humans who have contact with a mysterious group of extra-dimensional entities known only as the watchers.  The watchers are strange and alien creatures who appear to use earth as some sort of Reality TV-esque entertainment.  Contact with the Watchers leaves humans changed and disconnected from every day normality. It alters their bodies giving them strange insight, inhuman powers and an unsatable want for artifacts from the watchers dimension.  

The players will end up being wayward laborers and mercenaries for the Watchers, ensuring that their bizarre requests are met in the hope of receiving what ever reward their patrons deem suitable.  

This idea is still really raw.  Its mostly based on Changeling, the traditional folk tales of elves and this weird scifi book i read called illium (not the one by Homer).
I see it being some where between, wicked city, shadowrun and buffy.  With the players being part nanny, part collector and part thug for hire.

I thought of using the cypher system (Numenera/The Strange)

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:05 pm

Another idea for the list.

The one ring is a very well received rpg based in tolkins middle earth.

There is a pre made adventure for this setting called "the darkening of mirkwood" that seems to be universally praised. I have long considered running it just to see what all the fuss is about.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:16 am

I Kinda feel like i should run a 5e DnD game just so i can continue the set.

I have run the rest of them to varying degrees, seems like i should give it a crack even if its only brief

angry_dan
Loves the cock
Loves the cock

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:55 am

Matt wrote:
Another game idea.

Fantasy-esque setting.  Everybody is undead/imortal (like intelligent zombie/skeletons etc).  Undead survive off souls/soul energy (havn't locked this part down yet.)  Primary place to get this energy is sentient living beings, the last of which went extinct decades ago.  Play is based in large sprawling necropolis/cities.  
Currency is souls.

Everything is starting to go nuts as the citizens realize that their immortality has soured and they are all destined to degenerate into mindless wandering undead.

That is as much as i have planed out at this point.

Undead will have cool power like stuff related to their undeath.      

Soul Eater/bleach hybrid?
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri May 06, 2016 6:21 am

angry_dan wrote:
Soul Eater/bleach hybrid?

Soul eater i am not familiar with. Bleach i have heard of but never actually watched.

Ok Savage Worlds House Rule i have been considering;

Do away with hindrances as they are written. Give the players the points as though they have taken max hindrances. And instead just ask each player what their characters main weakness/shortcoming/flaw is.

That way there are less hindrances to keep track of. And players can take things like having one eye, even if they don't wish for it to be anything more then a cosmetic part of their character.

I would obviously have power to request more info of or veto these new hindrances if i thought they were unwieldy or to simple.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri May 06, 2016 8:03 am

Wanted to add this game to the list of things to watch; Urban Shadow

Looks like a cool way to play a WoD style game without the fuck ass story teller system or books having to be involved.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:40 am

I saw L5R described as Westeros with Katans the other day.

And it got me thinking about running an L5R game based in a very turbulent period of the setting. Focus on major events rather then day to day. Battles, pivotal meetings, moments that change history. Avoid as much of the minor things as possible.

Try and move the game quickly, where a session might see actions spread across periods of months or even years.

I would have to really work on getting my scenes technique going. I drop the ball on it so much. Something to try and work with more in MYZ. its a good game to practice in.

Also keen on some generic fantasy using the Fantasy Age system. Have another crack at making my own interesting world. I always chastise myself for not using pre made worlds post games but i am trying to be less lazy with this kinda stuff.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   

Back to top Go down

Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next