Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 am

Ok after more reseach and reading through blogs from people who have run this style of game, 4e is not the best choice for a Western Marches style game as the slowness of combat means much less gets done during the sessions.

SO give me opinions on what other systems would you be intrested in using to play this style of game?

Gurps is an interesting one i have been tossing up as it can be alot gritter and faster in combat.

I thought about reverting back to pathfinder or 3.5 in one of its many forms but the lack of balance in the system and the general flood of house rules required to make it work puts me off it.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 am

I was just looking into the savage world system which was written by the same people who did Deadlands.

Might get my hands on the PDF and have a look.

angry_dan
Loves the cock
Loves the cock

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:59 am

i have a suggestion for a system, fun shui. its a very easy system to run and dm.
with a 5 hour play session you could have the whole time just in combat and end the session with a very satisfied table of players.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:36 am

from what i have read feng shui is great for pulp martial arts style games but doesnt lend itself to other genres' to well.

I have been reading the Savage Worlds books and they might be good for what i want.

The rules are easy enough but i am maybe a bit worried that it is too rules light.

If anybody feels like downloading the PDF and having a look and then giving me their opinion it would be apprreciated.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:14 am

So far Savage worlds seems like a stream lined version of the 1e Deadlands rule set.

You still use playing cards for iniative.

You still have chips but they are called "Benny's"

It looks like it would play fast.

Which is good beacuse the slog fest fights of 4e can get old.

The the mechanical nightmare of the 3x's can be a head ache.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:07 pm

some interesting ideas matty. Is this thread for anybody to put up ideas, or your testing ground so to speak?
Thoughts on your ideas though:
breaking the 4th wall: what kinda like OOTS? awesome!!!
gurps the magicing: sounds very interesting, im guessing the pcs are all pitted against each other in this contest? if i were you i would probably do some pretty thorough testing of the magic system first,
l5r: always sounds good, such compelling fluff

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Legend of the Five Rings 'themed' Western Marches would be cool.

Hornet wrote:
Ignore as I am a retard

Hornet wrote:
I'm literally gagging for one.

Hornet wrote:
Shamus of the prolapsed anus perhaps

OMNIS QVI CORVSCAT EST OR
Back to top Go down
http://www.TradeCardsOnline.com/user/physicist
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:01 am

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
some interesting ideas matty. Is this thread for anybody to put up ideas, or your testing ground so to speak?

Cheers sugar tits, in answer to your question this thread is basicly a place for me to note down ideas about games i would like to run as i have them. Mainly so i dont forget them but in saying that i really like for people to coment on them, let me know which ones they like and ad any thoughts they have ideas i have put forward.

I am quite happy for other people to sugest completly new ideas that they would like to see me run but the threads main goal is to help me figure out what i will run next.

Physicist wrote:
Legend of the Five Rings 'themed' Western Marches would be cool.

Hmmm its an intresting idea, do you mean just using the crunch or using the crunch and fluff aswell?

Physicist
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:20 am

I always found the system fun. Not so numerically minded for that one. I love the official story and characters but for some people it is a bit too restrictive on personal play styles. I was just thinking of incorporating it's background and ethos for the WM. Thinking that way and knowing peoples disposition for plot and story I'm seeing it in a different way. If my actions effect the relative sandbox game world then I could in theory attempt to create my own story via manipulation of party and NPC's. This I see as 'fluff crunching' an alternative to my more frequent 'number crunching'.

Explanation;
I could create my character with say, Bayushi Kachiko (my favourite character) in mind and through my exploration of the game world attempt to re-enact parts of her history. The slow seduction of an influencial courtier or a daimyo's son as part of a greater machination destined to cripple a rival family due to an ancestral rivalry? This I don't see as relying on being fed story by the DM nor would it rely on the all important 'plot armor'.

Early morning ramblings are fun. I should do this more often.

Hornet wrote:
Ignore as I am a retard

Hornet wrote:

Hornet wrote:

Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:35 am

ehh the western marches concept doesnt work too well as a "social game" tho. No to say that style of sandbox cant be done but doing it with a larger group of people is probably far to difficult for me to manage and come out with a result that im happy with.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:32 am

The reason I asked about other people posting ideas, is because there are a couple of idea i have been toying with for a little while, but just do not have the time to run anything, i will post them, if you like them matty, feel free to take over.

Post Apocalyptic Fantasy:

Mass Effect:

If you like the sound of either of them matty, feel free to give them a try, but if you do I want to play, especially the ME one :p

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:58 am

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
Post Apocalyptic Fantasy:

You should check out dark sun.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 am

Ok i have decided to start working on the Western marches idea as the primary for the next thing i will run.

I will brake that off into a diffrent thread.

This thread will continue as a storge spot for other ideas.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Matt wrote:

You should check out dark sun.

I have read a few of the books, i love that world, was one of the inspirations.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 am

Ok i have gone of my West marches style idea again because i came the the decission that it will end up to combat heavy and running lots of combat bores me.

So whats the plan then?

Hmm i still want something that involves a decent amount of people.

I want it to be player driven to some extent.

I all so like the idea of the players not allways working towards the same goals.

Front running ideas so far are.

Something L5R

Something nWoD

Something Shadowrun.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:34 am

Ok Here is an L5R idea i was talking about with JD after his L5R West Marches comment.

Spoiler:

Anyway tell me what you think.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:36 am

Any of those would be good. Gun to my head I would choose L5R.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 am

sounds very interesting matty. My choice would either be nWoD or L5R, but probably nWoD as i have looked at rules/fluff for that more recently, only L5R i have looked at in ages is the card game.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:45 am

Well this thred is sudenlly a lot more important.

ehhh what have i been doing...

I downloaded the 4e L5R book which is amazing just on looks alone.

I have been flicking through some of the nWoD books which still intrest me and the upcoming relase of Duse Ex 3 has me looking at Shadowrun stuff as well.

The L5R social death match idea seems to be getting the most brain time at the moment.

The main issue with this one is actually finding 5 players willing to put the effort in.

I was mulling over the Gurps all magic idea again but i still can come up with a way to do it.

Jd put forward the idea of running some light hearted Deadlands, but ehhh the light hearted part turns me off.
Light hearted to me says that all though i basiclly have to put in the same amount of effort my players have permission to do next to nothing as long as they can make a decent enough fart joke each week to make people laugh.

Well...

... i guess i am now offically working towards my next game, speak now or for ever hold your peace as they say.

Physicist
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 am

Legend of the Five Rings for the win!

Hornet wrote:
Ignore as I am a retard

Hornet wrote:

Hornet wrote:

Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 am

Please bear in mind tho for the L5R idea, for the initial player signe up to the game i would require something like the following;

Perspective player to have familiarised them selfs with the L5R world and customs.
Perspective player to outline a draft of a character concept and history.

Out of interest who would be willing to go to these efforts prior to the first session even being confirmed.

Keep in mind character concept/history doesnt mean;

I want to play a dragon Samurai who has a dark secret!

I would want a decent outline of the characters name, history and place in the clan. Some motivations, some querks... basiclly something to make the character a little more then a few scribbled notes.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 am

If you think me requiering this info pre game would turn you off playing in the game let me know as well!

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:53 am

I am cool with that. Can I grab a pdf of the current core books of you (if you don't have that I'll download them, what is the current ed and best book to work a concept off)

I am thinking crane artisan tea maker of the court. Whose family is skilled in unarmed jutsu and do.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:07 am

Hornet wrote:
ICan I grab a pdf of the current core books of you (if you don't have that I'll download them, what is the current ed and best book to work a concept off)

Sure, remind me on Sat and i will chuck it on your lap top.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:24 am

DEADLANDS!!!

light hearted or not i dont care.

DEADLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.   

Back to top Go down

Matts Rp Idea Storage thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next