Share | 

so what have i learnt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: so what have i learnt   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 am

Ok as i explained to you guys during the sessions is that this game was an experiment with a few ideas i wanted to try. Mainly i wanted to see what would happen if i took away all the obvious hooks and clues and forced my players to think about the game, plot and their own actions more.

What did i learn?

I really need to drum the importants of note keeping into my players and try to encourage them to talk and think about their problems in the game.

I should probably be hesitant about givng players a masive red kill button that should only be used in dire emergency, especially if my game is likely to frustrate the players or test them. Mainly due to the fact that they are likely to hit it just to try and force the game along.

For investigation games i probably need to make at least a dozen leads availible quickly so the players have something to think about.

Hmm. feel free to add any comments on the game guys. Constructive crit would be appreciated.

Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:11 am

One thing we did in the Silver Marches campaign was use my Bard character as the chronicler, which created an in-game "game journal" which I kept updated after each session. This way, all plot threads were kept track of. It's the most fun way to keep track and take notes I can think of - because you're creating a prop for an in-game document that also serves to keep the information fresh in players minds.

Sci-fi settings may not have bards, but chroniclers come in many forms. Indeed, the chronicles themselves may come from many sources. Perhaps part of a field captain's journal, scribbled on by scum, bookmarked and footnoted by imperials, etc.

I liked your dossier idea, but it needed more props - a scrap of cloth, dried flower, lock of hair, etc. They add realism, but more importantly, they make the players reach for the dossier more often - just as putting an in-character spin on the journal made reading over notes and recapping information more enjoyable; they looked forward to the next installment, rather than having to be prompted at the start of each session.

That's my two cents. Thanks for a very fun introduction to the warhammer world.
Back to top Go down
Tom

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Why was a kill team after us exactly what happened?
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Haha, sorry YoYo i should explain.

The kill team wasn't after you, you guys actually called in the team or that was the plan anyway.

The mission all a long was to track down and confirm the location of Rel, then hit the locator button you were given at the start of the game.

This button would act as becon for the kill team waiting in low orbit to converge on. Once they hit the ground their job was basicly to make sure Rel was dead what ever the cost.

Unfortunatly for you guys when you called in the kill team on the "Master" you called it in on the wrong target which was quickly confirmed when the corpse was examined after metal ally was secured.

The executor who was in charge of the operation was highly unimpressed.

His personal investment in the operation + the time and resorces that were lost due to your miss calculation made for a rather harsh debreifing.

Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 am

I was looking over some of the posts for the game, and i predicted between 5 and 10 sessions so i was spot on there.

Unfortunatly i thought you would be further into the story when it ended *sadface*

Ow well can always reuse and revamp the unseen.

gaz
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:49 am

what i have learnt

- dark heresy is a great setting
- skill success is 1 on 3 Mad
- combat is fun
-detail notes and discussion must be done in an investigation campaign like this one
-as a player i had no idea of the leads or clues we had for pretty much the whole campaign
-i really enjoyed it.

nice job matt.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:50 am

gaz wrote:

- dark heresy is a great setting

Yeah i had a lot of fun with it and definatly want to run it again.

gaz wrote:

- skill success is 1 on 3 Mad

I have a feeling i should have given bore bonus's then i did but the game is generally viewed as being a lot less forgiving then DnD and the like. You can't really power build for a specific task in DH to the point where failure in your field of expertise is unheard of like you can in DnD

gaz wrote:

- combat is fun

Yes and grity, it all so has a way of swinging very quickly. A few times in metal ally you guys were doing fine only to suddenly be deep in the shit.

gaz wrote:

-detail notes and discussion must be done in an investigation campaign like this one
-as a player i had no idea of the leads or clues we had for pretty much the whole campaign

Yeah i feel if i try something like this again i should really hammer home the idea that you will fail unless you take some good notes. I thought i did but evidently not enough.

gaz wrote:

-i really enjoyed it.

nice job matt.

Cheers and so did i.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: so what have i learnt   

Back to top Go down

so what have i learnt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Social Gaming Scene :: Archives :: Old shit-