Looking for opinions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 am

Hi guys i am considering the Dungeon World system for my next project and i would like to get opinions on the system from anybody willing to read it.

Here is a PDF link

So if you have some spare time i would love your opinion.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 am

I don't understand. The link you left just makes it look like a way of DMing an already functioning system. What is the attraction to this? Can you explain why you just wouldn't change up another set system?
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 am

Is it that it is a simple skeleton system that allows freedom to the way you could run combat that you like? Just trying to get a feel for the appeal.
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 am

my opinion is... thats a whole lotta pages, all full of words.

the bits i read seem fine, but i personally don't see the attraction to using different systems all the time.

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:30 am

Patty wrote:
i personally don't see the attraction to using different systems all the time

Because not all systems are designed equal. Most systems are based around their setting and few translate well unless designed to do so, i.e. D20, Savage Worlds, G.U.R.P.S, etc. I suspect a lot of the reasoning behind choosing a fitting system is how flowing it is and how retarded your players are. There is little point in running a mechanically heavy system that supports a complex and multi-faceted setting if the players can't grasp the basics let alone the summation of these things combined.

Hornet wrote:
Ignore as I am a retard

Hornet wrote:
I'm literally gagging for one.

Hornet wrote:
Shamus of the prolapsed anus perhaps

OMNIS QVI CORVSCAT EST OR
Back to top Go down
http://www.TradeCardsOnline.com/user/physicist
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 am

but i definitely agree with your opening comments
Patty wrote:
thats a whole lotta pages, all full of words.

Hornet wrote:
Ignore as I am a retard

Hornet wrote:
I'm literally gagging for one.

Hornet wrote:
Shamus of the prolapsed anus perhaps

OMNIS QVI CORVSCAT EST OR
Back to top Go down
http://www.TradeCardsOnline.com/user/physicist
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Physicist wrote:

few translate well unless designed to do so, i.e. D20, Savage Worlds, G.U.R.P.S, etc.

why not stick with one of these?

Seems like alot less effort than learning a complete new system.

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 pm

I asked you for your opinions on the system rathern then a psychoanalysis of why im asking you to give your opinion but i guess its easier just to answer the questions.

Hornet wrote:
I don't understand. The link you left just makes it look like a way of DMing an already functioning system.

Its a beta rule system that is due for completed release later this year. Thats why it looks raw, it is a system in it's self but it did get its origins from another system.

Hornet wrote:
What is the attraction to this?

It's rules lite and i like the design philosophy behind it but im not completely sold yet, hence why i am asking for opinions.

Hornet wrote:
Can you explain why you just wouldn't change up another set system?

I'm not sure what you mean by this so if you still require an answer can you please restructure the question.

Hornet wrote:
Is it that it is a simple skeleton system that allows freedom to the way you could run combat that you like? Just trying to get a feel for the appeal.

Stop trying to figure out what i like about it, have a read and give me your opinion.

Patty wrote:
my opinion is... thats a whole lotta pages, all full of words.

the bits i read seem fine, but i personally don't see the attraction to using different systems all the time.

Im looking for a system to run classic fantasy games, i guess once i find one that works well i might stop looking for new ones.

Physicist wrote:

Patty wrote:
i personally don't see the attraction to using different systems all the time

Because not all systems are designed equal. Most systems are based around their setting and few translate well unless designed to do so, i.e. D20, Savage Worlds, G.U.R.P.S, etc. I suspect a lot of the reasoning behind choosing a fitting system is how flowing it is and how retarded your players are. There is little point in running a mechanically heavy system that supports a complex and multi-faceted setting if the players can't grasp the basics let alone the summation of these things combined.

Stop bickering and criticize the system

Patty wrote:
Physicist wrote:

few translate well unless designed to do so, i.e. D20, Savage Worlds, G.U.R.P.S, etc.

why not stick with one of these?

D20 has to many gaping flaws to consider

Savage worlds is still a major possibility but i figured i would examine the alternatives first.

G.U.R.P.S is to rules heavy and in my experience it reads better then it plays

Patty wrote:
Seems like alot less effort than learning a complete new system.

Well i guess i could just quote some one else and say the day you stop learning you start dying, but the honest answer is just that i am trying to find a good system for a classic fantasy game.

The number of systems i have learnt and never played is stupidly large so whats one more, but mainly i don't want to wast my time tinkering with systems i know are unfit for purpose simply because im unwilling to try others.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 pm

You answered all my questions. I'm sold on the idea.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm

It reads like someone has taken D&D and altered it slightly.
In all honesty I am not seeing a huge advantage over D&D as the similarities seem to outweigh the advantage giving differences.
In saying this though, I do get the appeal in theory, but in theory communism works, in theory.

To cut this ramble short, could be alot better.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
It reads like someone has taken D&D and altered it slightly.
In all honesty I am not seeing a huge advantage over D&D as the similarities seem to outweigh the advantage giving differences.
In saying this though, I do get the appeal in theory, but in theory communism works, in theory.

To cut this ramble short, could be alot better.

Thanks Ryan,

If you want to expand on this it would be appreciated.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:56 am

I would like to amend my previous statement, that was based on a cursory reading of the rules. After having read the rules a bit more thoroughly, I would like to amend my opinion, It is not DnD altered slightly, but rather, DnD trimmed. Like they have taken DnD and trimmed alot of the fat. It is DnD Lite, or DnD for newbs. (and yes i mean newb not noob, for those of you unfamiliar with the difference between the two terms Newb Vs Noob)

This being said I think it would actually be worth a go, with alot of the fat cut out games should run smoother, and get less bogged down with arguments about rules interpretations, and the like. I also believe that with these 'lite rules' as I will call them, then players will not be able to get as caught up in the mechanics of their character, but rather it would be more about the actual roleplaying.

Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
then players will not be able to get as caught up in the mechanics of their character, but rather it would be more about the actual roleplaying.

I'd be wary of this. there are those of us out there that will 'exploit' (for want of a better word) the lack of mechanics, and have a chump fighter who can talk his way out of anything, just by "roleplaying it out".

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 am

Patty wrote:
HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
then players will not be able to get as caught up in the mechanics of their character, but rather it would be more about the actual roleplaying.

I'd be wary of this. there are those of us out there that will 'exploit' (for want of a better word) the lack of mechanics, and have a chump fighter who can talk his way out of anything, just by "roleplaying it out".

Lol patty you have done that in every system we have ever played, ever.

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 am

Patty wrote:
HappyNoodleBoy wrote:

I'd be wary of this. There are those of us who will suffer because we rely heavily on the mechanics and are happy sitting there not "roleplaying"

There I fixed your sentence Smile

No I get what you're saying Patty but my concern would be less about how the roleplaying will exploit it and more about how you could exploit class mechanics due to loose wording in the rules. Though having looked at the rules a bit closer I think it will rely on house rules to come into play to avoid that sort of exploit to contradicting character traits. I'm willing to see a play test though.
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Matt wrote:

Yeah, but now imagine a world without me not even having to pretend i have skill points in 'Knowledge: bugbear mating rituals'.

Hornet wrote:
Patty wrote:
HappyNoodleBoy wrote:

I'd be wary of this. There are those of us who will suffer because we rely heavily on the mechanics and are happy sitting there not "roleplaying"

There I fixed your sentence Smile

yes... suffering... Twisted Evil

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Patty wrote:
Matt wrote:

Yeah, but now imagine a world without me not even having to pretend i have skill points in 'Knowledge: bugbear mating rituals'.

Well if i'm understanding the rules properly you would be require to perform the Spout lore move in the above example.

If you rolled over 10 on 2d6+int i would have to tell you something useful and interesting, if you rolled 7 to 9 i would just have to tell you something interesting and if you rolled under 7 well thats a miss and their are so many things i can do with a miss Twisted Evil.

+ i get to ask you how your character knows this info which you have to come up with which can be an ammo/idea source for me + generally amusing for everybody involved.

Frankly that seems like one of the better mechanic for this kind of thing i have seen in a game to date. Nice and quick/simple.

HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:59 am

Hornet wrote:
No I get what you're saying Patty but my concern would be less about how the roleplaying will exploit it and more about how you could exploit class mechanics due to loose wording in the rules. Though having looked at the rules a bit closer I think it will rely on house rules to come into play to avoid that sort of exploit to contradicting character traits. I'm willing to see a play test though.

The rules are not worded loosely, rather the abilities your character has are simplified compared to traditional DnD. Patty and shamus, you seem to have not completely understood the point i was trying to get across.

matt wrote:
Well if i'm understanding the rules properly you would be require to perform the Spout lore move in the above example.

If you rolled over 10 on 2d6+int i would have to tell you something useful and interesting, if you rolled 7 to 9 i would just have to tell you something interesting and if you rolled under 7 well thats a miss and their are so many things i can do with a miss .

+ i get to ask you how your character knows this info which you have to come up with which can be an ammo/idea source for me + generally amusing for everybody involved.

Frankly that seems like one of the better mechanic for this kind of thing i have seen in a game to date. Nice and quick/simple.

Matty gets it Razz

OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 am

Ryan I didn't misunderstand your point, only because I didn't fully take it into account. I was merely having a dig at Patty.
But yes you are right the rules just simple not loose.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 am

Hornet wrote:
Ryan I didn't misunderstand your point, only because I didn't fully take it into account. I was merely having a dig at Patty.
But yes you are right the rules just simple not loose.

Your mums simple and loose!

Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Nice
Back to top Go down
Patty
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Matt wrote:

If you rolled over 10 on 2d6+int i would have to tell you something useful and interesting, if you rolled 7 to 9 i would just have to tell you something interesting and if you rolled under 7 well thats a miss and their are so many things i can do with a miss Twisted Evil.

well shut my mouth.

Ryan wrote:
Patty and shamus, you seem to have not completely understood the point i was trying to get across.

Yeah, i figured you were saying there weren't rules for these things and it'd all come down to the roleplay, which would be, as the french say 'Le Gay'.

Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 am

Moving on, if anybody has anything else to add it would be appreciated.

The system reads well for what im looking for but i think i will give it a playtest in the next couple of weeks.

gaz
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:11 pm

That is a lot of reading. which i cannot be fuck doing. not that i'm opposed to learning new things.

I'm still getting my head around the changes from 3.5 to pathfinder. which is awesome by the way.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 pm

gaz wrote:
I'm still getting my head around the changes from 3.5 to pathfinder. which is awesome by the way.

Yeah it's defiantly an improvement on 3.5

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions   

Back to top Go down

Looking for opinions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next