Social Gaming Scene
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Gaming Scene

Roleplaying, Table Top Gaming, Shenanigans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Issues to address in the Iron Ridge

Go down 
+3
Matt
angry_dan
Physicist
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySat 9 Feb 2013 - 10:15

Original Post

So Donk has allocated each Duke a quadrant or protectorate to oversee in the Iron Region.

Currently;
  • Melchid - Eastern Mountains and Eastern Border
  • Aizen - - Lake and Northern Border
  • Erd - Western Mountains and Western Border
  • Ivan - Southern Forest and Southern Border Currently unassigned (undefended)
  • Micken - Central Blackwell and Flatlands

Suggestions were also made by Donk towards increasing security;

• Identify and utilise 'choke points',
  • Reinforce defensive positions,
  • Build local barracks to garrison troops,
  • Build 'watch towers' for surveillance and early warning.

He will provide us with;

• Access to armaments,
  • Troop training,
  • Maps of each protectorate.

So based on this new information and obligation what ideas can we come up with collectively that will enable equal fulfillment of the above?

I had already begun investigations into what is required to build a prototype stockade in Royalwell. If this can be achieved quickly and resourcefully then we could easily expand them to all required areas.

Contribute below...

Last edited by Physicist on Sun 14 Apr 2013 - 10:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.TradeCardsOnline.com/user/physicist
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Feb 2013 - 20:08

I am very keen to mandate military training for the general populace (subject to criteria).

In general;
  1. Mateship and Teamwork
  2. Physical and Moral Courage
  3. Dedication to duty
  4. Compassion and honesty
  5. Will to win & Loyalty and honour

More specifically;
  • Fieldcraft
  • Marksmanship training
  • Physical training
  • Navigation training

This may of course be dependent on basic intelligence, literacy and numeracy of the individual but if Melchid wants to do the military stuff can I strongly suggest this?!!

The precursor to all this is mandatory education. Literacy, numeracy, trade skills, social skills, etc.. I was hoping a humanitarian like Erd might want to step in here but he is a busy civil engineer.

Also I haven't really heard anything from Dean or Tim about their interest in their own duchy let alone the Iron Ridge Region so SPEAK UP BOYZ!
Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyTue 5 Mar 2013 - 21:18

Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 Tumblr_lg4rr7V3tw1qaifa5
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyWed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:11

Thank you as always for providing a breakdown of things to review JD.

When it comes to our regions I think that one of our goals as individual Dukes should be to recruit in these areas as much as possible in order to amass a force to train.

I think we really need to sit down and discuss how this would work. The training that is. I will address in other posts now the need for the further release of land to our care in order to create a decent training area.

Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyThu 4 Apr 2013 - 18:41

If I reply does it count as necro'ing this thread? Sad

..anyways:

Hornet wrote:
When it comes to our regions I think that one of our goals as individual Dukes should be to recruit in these areas as much as possible in order to amass a force to train.

This I whole heartedly agree with. I have had plans for this on the burner since session 2.

Hornet wrote:
I think we really need to sit down and discuss how this would work. The training that is.

I disagree completely with your point here for the following reasons;
  • Sitting down is where the game happens. Leave the planning to the forums.

• I have already voiced my characters personal disinterest in military actions for Iron Ridge if I can help it.

• As I have never taken part in military training personally, I have limited input for such a 'sit down'. See my post above for ideas.

• If the character has military experience then leave it to the character not the player for the above reason.

Hornet wrote:
release of land to our care in order to create a decent training area.

Interesting idea. As we already have a keep to train and store troops in and personally we possess 3000m3 of land to use as we see fit I am wondering if this is a thinly veiled land grab. Piques my curiosity though.

Physicist wrote:
Also I haven't really heard anything from Dean or Tim about their interest in their own duchy let alone the Iron Ridge Region so SPEAK UP BOYZ!
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 7 Apr 2013 - 10:38

Now that we are on our way back from Riverring with Peach's mercenaries we have a little bit to work with. I would like to get them settled in and working along side the triple deuces to get the keep suitable for a primary barracks at this point.

We need to now address the issue of recruiting untrained people for the purposes of a military career.

JD I believe last night you suggested mandatory service for all appropriate citizens.

I think this is a good idea if it is done like the Greek army.

Any further thoughts here?

Also we really need more citizens in general.
Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 7 Apr 2013 - 14:24

Hornet wrote:
We need to now address the issue of recruiting untrained people for the purposes of a military career.

JD I believe last night you suggested mandatory service for all appropriate citizens.

I think this is a good idea if it is done like the Greek army.

I would like to draw your attention to the posts at the top of the page gentlemen. My opinions are clear and open.

But yes, I agree with Shamus's comments.

Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: SHOTGUN!!!!   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 7 Apr 2013 - 14:48

interesting thought.... With JDs ability to move at bullshit speed he would be able to cover our entire continent in fuck all time he would be able to visit every town/outpost/city serving as our armies recruitment officer
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 7 Apr 2013 - 14:51

recruiting our peasants, poor and homeless is also something we should do
Back to top Go down
timboza
timboza

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Apr 2013 - 13:31

is their some sort of slave army of Eunuchs wielding spears we can buy?

At the top of the thread the issue of military is crossed out, how much more military do we need?
I also want to look at the issues of low population and the need to set up trade agreements.
For the population issues I was thinking that if we set up our lands to be a more desirable place to live that should help entice people to move here. We have removed a lot of the bandits that were plaguing our lands and now have somewhat of a military to keep the people safe, our farmlands are hopefully enough to keep people feed so I would like to invest some money in setting up required infrastructure need for more industry and agriculture to grow and to spread the word to the lands of how safe things are under the rule of King Blackwell, and how any man willing to work will reap the rewards of a days labor.

Was also thinking that a trades fair could take place in and around the old trade hall. Could call it the 'full moon fair', held for several days each month ending on the night of a full moon. Free entertainment (maybe even food/wine) would entice people to come and hopefully that would in turn bring more traders to help boost the economy.
Back to top Go down
Dan

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Apr 2013 - 23:31

fuck me... your alive timbo lol! i like the trade fair idea very muchly
Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 8:21

Sweet line of thinking peeps! Good to see some ideas flowing in this thread again!

The reason military is crossed out for now is because Shamus stepped up and hired a mercenary company on a 2 year contract.
This is after he 'requisitioned' the '222's' as well, who all now reside inside the keep.
Giving Shamus a 230 strong military force to play with. Skeletal probably in our minds but critically needed and a vast improvement over the previous situation (ie 50 kings guard).
This effectively gives us 24 months to build up enough to no longer require their services or cost (400g per month+).

On the topic of mandatory service (conscription) I would like to go to the king now to pass the new law and then work out the details so the people don't see it in such a negative light immediately. Give Peach's Irregulars a month or two in service and public view before door knocking for conscription.

My thinking is here that;
  1. The new law is decreed and the populace worry which ones will be taken.
  2. Peach's Irregulars are seen publicly across the iron ridge as as experienced, trustworthy and a unified 'police force'
  3. We selectively begin with our conscription system taking unrelated groups at a time so as to not depopulate whole villages at a time.

The Census data I have collected should make initial selection faster as we can train 'teachers' who train others. These individuals should be easier to pick and test from the data we have on hand.

Population has always been a major issue that stymies our ideas for expansion since the beginning.
We have taken some initial steps (advertising, recruiting, purchasing people) towards increasing the population short term.

One of my main goals is to increase the access to amenities and basic resources to improve the quality of life in all regions of the Iron Ridge. Currently, as I like to start with small prototype systems and control groups, I have only been collecting this kind of localised information on my own holdings but that doesn't mean I can't expand once I see improvement (which was my plan).

Oh and also Yes! A trade fair is an awesome way to begin the process! I wholly support this idea and am very keen to roll with this after a little more brainstorming! I'm excited! bounce

So I propose Aizen do a little market research expedition throughout Faraway to compile data for analysis.
Mechant Skill wrote:
Make a skill roll to judge the value of any piece of common goods, find out where any commodity is bought and sold, find the local fair market value of any commodity, etc.
Plus:
Economics Skill wrote:
It is mainly an academic skill, but a successful skill roll allows you to predict the economic impact of events in the game world: the assassination of a political figure, the demolition of a power plant, the introduction of a new invention, etc.
Plus:
Mathematics (Statistics) Skill wrote:
Statistics: The science of assembling and analyzing data for the purpose of calculating probabilities, constructing models, and making forecasts. Roll vs. skill to determine the odds of a particular outcome, given sufficient data about similar situations in the past.
And I may be able to produce some incredibly useful information.

This information could allow Iron Ridge to step up and join the larger local markets! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If we could focus on a decent amount of polishing then this Iron Ridge turd could be make to look fairly appealing for outsiders to take interest in.

My concern is who those power players are that do take interest and if we a prepared enough to play their games. And please don't forget the always looming threat of Bold Stoneheart and the Dol Seroth Empire (they are still out there).

/that is all.

Last edited by Physicist on Sun 14 Apr 2013 - 8:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 8:43

1 suggestion I was going to put forth what's to have a kings tornament. Maybe this could go along at the same time as the trade fair that Tim mentioned. I think after the tournament at riverring we have made a name for our selves and could probably draw a crowd. We could invite a lot of traders from both river ring and the north and charge a tariff to set up shot. we could require an entry fee from each major house to put forward 1 champion that would cover the purse we would need to put up for the tornament itself. I was thinking we could have 3 events. 1 event could be jousting, 1 could be a 1 on 1 melee and 1 could be an all out melee. we probably can't put up as much of a purse as they did at the last tornament. what we might be able to do is convince the king to offer a title to the greatest champion and possibly of offer a small tract of land. this is always something wish to be gained by up and coming champions and it could also proved to strengthen our force if they can bring their own men. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 9:00

Jousting is a bit outdated (Age of Sail) and also mostly done only by the noble houses (knights).

Giving outsiders title and land (mainly land) is a little disconcerting for me. Honorary or ceremonial title could be fine. Just me though.

Apart from that your ideas are sound.

Can we expand upon anything put up recently first and then I will produce a summary to base our plan of action upon?

Back to top Go down
timboza
timboza

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 19:49

I really like the idea of some events to go with the fair. Even if in the times jousting is out dated it would still be a good event. I mean people still play royal tennis today. Also a archery contest as well maybe? Ether way, I don't think what contests we have are important, just that we have them. The idea is to try and rally the people and make our kingdom seem a lot more hospitable to the surrounding people.

As for the idea of conscription, doesn't sound bad to me at all. If we minimize the impact it will have on communities and try sell it as a good way for recruits to given food cloths and shelter and keep be keeping the relm safe then hopefully people will see it in a positive light.
Back to top Go down
timboza
timboza

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013 - 0:10

Also seeing as I'm way behind on looking after my assigned part of our lands, I will request information from captain Donk on the current city watch numbers we have in Blackwell, Royalwell and Ferryside and what military/watch, buildings and garrisons we currently have in those locations.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 9:16

timboza wrote:
Also seeing as I'm way behind on looking after my assigned part of our lands, I will request information from captain Donk on the current city watch numbers we have in Blackwell, Royalwell and Ferryside and what military/watch, buildings and garrisons we currently have in those locations.

Currently its a big "0" on all accounts.

Blackwell was policed by the Royal guard for a time, but the crime rate escalated.

Currently most of the villages and hamlets in the region are using a lynch mob/militia style of policing at the moment.
Back to top Go down
timboza
timboza

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:20

is there any sort of military personnel or anyone from the royal guard still in Blackwell? If not I would like to post a notice in the city that the lords of Blackwell are currently looking to employ 2 men experienced with military or law enforcement to be in charge of a new guard force at Royallwell and Ferryside. Applicants are to see Micken the Sane.
Back to top Go down
Physicist
Power house!
Power house!
Physicist

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 20:35

timboza wrote:
I would like to post a notice in the city that the lords of Blackwell are currently looking to employ 2 men experienced with military or law enforcement to be in charge of a new guard force at Royallwell and Ferryside. Applicants are to see Micken the Sane.
Aizen will put forth the names of 10 male serfs for the city guard job, currently co-training under Captain Donk.

The men will then be told to report to Micken the Sane as volunteers.

In my travels across Faraway I would like to know what the going rate for city guards is as well as any benefits other cities and/or kingdoms might provide so as to compare and implement a 'fair' equivalent.
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2013 - 7:48

I know the timing was off going East with a large proportion of our newly acquired military force, however I did start playing that time period out before I realised that Furl was camping in our kingdom with such a force.

Having said that I believe the Kings guard are still in town, the 222's are in the keep along with 2nd Company of commander Peach's force.

Can you elaborate on your plan for them?
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2013 - 10:42

Physicist wrote:
timboza wrote:
I would like to post a notice in the city that the lords of Blackwell are currently looking to employ 2 men experienced with military or law enforcement to be in charge of a new guard force at Royallwell and Ferryside. Applicants are to see Micken the Sane.
Aizen will put forth the names of 10 male serfs for the city guard job, currently co-training under Captain Donk.

The men will then be told to report to Micken the Sane as volunteers.

In my travels across Faraway I would like to know what the going rate for city guards is as well as any benefits other cities and/or kingdoms might provide so as to compare and implement a 'fair' equivalent.

Ok sweet, i didn't realize you were currently training serfs. Out of interest how many do you currently have training?

Edit: i found where you mentioned it now, sometimes your "cleaning up" of your threads makes things confusing sometimes. When you edit a thread maybe add a list of changes down the bottom and a date. for example. **Edit** 45/12/2044 - Renovations of estate.
Back to top Go down
timboza
timboza

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 12:07

so are these serfs kinda like smurfs? How well trained are they so far?

I would like to split the group and send 5 to Fairyside and 5 to Royalwell.

I'll give them the orders that they are to set up a watch outpost in their respective cities and try and organize what ever local law enforcement was in place. They are to find and co-ordenate the building of a barracks in each city and find volunteers who would help keep the peace.

Is there any arms and Armour in Blackwell I can send them with?
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 13:34

timboza wrote:
so are these serfs kinda like smurfs? How well trained are they so far?

I would like to split the group and send 5 to Fairyside and 5 to Royalwell.

I'll give them the orders that they are to set up a watch outpost in their respective cities and try and organize what ever local law enforcement was in place. They are to find and co-ordenate the building of a barracks in each city and find volunteers who would help keep the peace.

Is there any arms and Armour in Blackwell I can send them with?

Just as a point of note there are a 2 key points you should know about these "Serfs".

1 - These serfs are only recently emancipated slaves who used to be used purely for manual labor.

2 - By the end of September they will have received exactly 1 month of training under Captain Donk.

Upon hearing about your planned posting Captain Donk suggests the following;

"Look, there not a bad lot but if you leave them too their own devices only the God's know what will happen, but i doubt it will be good. I have a Sargent who is due for a promotion, he is a good lad, a little to clever for his own good and not quite bloodthirsty enough for the rest of the bears... er... Kings Guard. I will raise his rank to lieutenant and have him report to you. His name is Blond. I would give this lot another month on the training fields with Blond at least before i dispatched them anywhere. That should give you time to establish suitable accommodation at where ever you post them. And don't forget about Blackwell Castle either, its been almost 4 months since we last had stationed guard in the town, we are surviving as is but with all these new people coming into town that probably won't last long."
Back to top Go down
Hornet
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!
Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 14:39

"Sounds like good advice Donk. Ah Blond, I thinnk I remember him from the spider incident. Yes definitely officer material but you're right about the blood thirst, he seems a man to get behind the men who stand behind him as it were. Yes Micken 1 month is barely enough time to know which foot to put forth. Patience will be the key here."
Back to top Go down
timboza
timboza

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2013 - 21:45

'Yes, maybe I should worry more about the capital before I start with the cities. I'll train the men here for the city watch I guess, and look for some more to train before sending them off'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Issues to address in the Iron Ridge   Issues to address in the Iron Ridge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Issues to address in the Iron Ridge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next