Social Gaming Scene
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Gaming Scene

Roleplaying, Table Top Gaming, Shenanigans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mass Effect Game pitch.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

Mass Effect Game pitch. Empty
PostSubject: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 10:13

Hi Guys.

I have been contemplating a game idea and i wanted to make a post to see if anybody was interested in playing it.

The setting would be the Mass Effect universe.  (from the popular video game franchise.)

The system would be Savage Worlds.  For those of you not familiar, savage worlds is the offspring of the original Deadlands rpg rule system.

I would also be using a Mass Effect PLUG-IN written by The Cranky Gamer.

The basic premise for the game would be as follows.

Some of the players would be the Captain/Crew of a small cargo/smuggling/illegal salvage ship which due to an incident had found itself grounded on the space station Omega .  

The ship needs a couple key parts before it can fly again and everybody can start earning.  Unfortunately the Captain(PC) just doesn't have the cash required to purchase the parts.

The game will revolve around the PC finding ways to get the ship up and going before their cash dries up and the ship ends up being sold for scrap to cover the docking expenses.  Also the missing crew members will need to be replaced (with either NPC's or PC's).

Omega lives up to its colorful reputation so the PC's will need to be smart and resourceful lest the station chews them up and spits them out.  

The players would build their own characters... but each player would pick a role on the ship for their character (for example; captain, engineer, pilot and so on.)
The role chosen would dictate a skill or something which would be required for the character but the remaining choices would be up to the player.

A couple of the players would start as the original crew and some would be people on Omega looking to sign up in the hope of getting out.

Anyway, that's the basics of my game idea.  Now what i want to know is if anybody would be interested in playing?

If you have any questions feel free to ask them.

EDIT:

I would probably be looking to start in mid July - early August.

Last edited by Matt on Mon 16 Jun 2014 - 12:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 11:21

I should add, the initial focus of the game would be getting the ship flying again. Then if everybody was keen to keep playing we would move the game on from there.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 11:24

I am most definitely in.

A couple of questions. What point in time is this taking place? For example, is it so long before tye reapers that patriarch is running omega, or has aria t'loak taken control by now? Or are you ignoring the games and having someone else running omega? What is the state of the merc groups on omega? Have they recently been decimated by archangel, or are they at the peak of there power?

I have already had a thought as to the character I would like to play.
A pilot who got stranded on omega a couple of years ago. He is very cocky, but actually almost as good as he thinks. He is slow to trust, and slow to build respect. He has survived omega these last two years by gambling, this is his only income, and how he pays rent. Recently he has started looking for a way off the station due to a run of bad luck and increasing debts. If backed into a Corner he is also quite handy with a pistol. Also another thing he is cocky about.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 11:31

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
A couple of questions. What point in time is this taking place? For example, is it so long before tye reapers that patriarch is running omega, or has aria t'loak taken control by now? Or are you ignoring the games and having someone else running omega? What is the state of the merc groups on omega? Have they recently been decimated by archangel, or are they at the peak of there power?

Probably between the attack on the citadel and the beginning of the collector abductions.

So as per ME2 but Archangle has yet to make a name for himself.

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
I have already had a thought as to the character I would like to play.
A pilot who got stranded on omega a couple of years ago. He is very cocky, but actually almost as good as he thinks. He is slow to trust, and slow to build respect. He has survived omega these last two years by gambling, this is his only income, and how he pays rent. Recently he has started looking for a way off the station due to a run of bad luck and increasing debts. If backed into a Corner he is also quite handy with a pistol. Also another thing he is cocky about.

Excellent character concept.

As a further note.

at this point the races i will allow will be as follows;
Human
Salarian
Turian
Asari
Krogan
Quarian
Drell
Batarian
And as a big maybe, Volus. If somebody is able to convince me they are up to it.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 12:02

Matt wrote:

Probably between the attack on the citadel and the beginning of the collector abductions.  

So as per ME2 but Archangle has yet to make a name for himself.

Cool. This is actually a very interesting time on omega. Aria is firmly in control, but the mercenary groups: blue sun, blood pack, and eclipse are getting to the point where they will be able to start challenging Aria for control, and quite possibly have already started in some areas of the station. Also the Vorcha are starting to move in, in greater numbers, which is of course followed by the plague. Lets hope where off the station before that happens Razz

I have not thought about what race I wanted to play yet. Tough choice.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 12:10

I just had a quick skim through that mass effect plug in, and am now thinking drell.
Back to top Go down
Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
Lansirlot

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 13:18

Very interesting. If someone could lend me mass effect on pc (or lend me the console too) so I can get to know the world better, that'd be sweet.

Not sure what I'd play yet. Quarian Engineer? Asari Healer? Turian Enforcer? All seem like fun ideas.

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
I am most definitely in.

From Han Solo to Hoban Washburn, cocky pilots are a dime a dozen. I'd like to see this skill set under a different tone; someone who has to gamble to survive because there's no pilot work sounds desperate, not romantic. He may even have had to take a few jobs that involved shooting people, and so doesn't particularly brag about it. Being slow to trust or respect others is a mark of someone who's lived in high crime areas - the only places he can afford to. Perhaps he is most happy, even cocky, while flying; but on the ground he is cautious, suspicious and taciturn.

This would give the pilot some depth - everyone relies on his skill, but they don't particularly like or trust him. Instant party dynamic.

For instance, you can offset this shady character with a Curious Quarian Engineer who still hasn't learned the harsh realities of life.
"You walk around in an environmental suit and yet you haven't figured out how to spot a hustle?"

Or a Turian Enforcer to be the pilot's "Wookie."
"Why does he follow me around? Because he owes me. He doesn't like it much. Matter of fact, he doesn't like me much, either."

These are just ideas, given I have never laid eyes on mass effect before, but they seem right.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 13:36

Lansirlot wrote:
Very interesting. If someone could lend me mass effect on pc (or lend me the console too) so I can get to know the world better, that'd be sweet.

I would if i could, but mine are all tied to my steam accounts. We might get lucky soon and get another run of Steam sales on them. I have seen ME1 and 2 go for $5.

I would skip ME1. It's a solid game but it hasn't aged well. ME2 is a solid place to start and it doesn't feel dated.

Lansirlot wrote:
Not sure what I'd play yet. Quarian Engineer? Asari Healer? Turian Enforcer? All seem like fun ideas.

All solid ideas. If you do get a chance to play the games it will give you a much better feeling for the races.

Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014 - 15:34

Lansirlot wrote:

From Han Solo to Hoban Washburn, cocky pilots are a dime a dozen. I'd like to see this skill set under a different tone; someone who has to gamble to survive because there's no pilot work sounds desperate, not romantic.

He is desperate.

Lansirlot wrote:

He may even have had to take a few jobs that involved shooting people, and so doesn't particularly brag about it. Being slow to trust or respect others is a mark of someone who's lived in high crime areas - the only places he can afford to.
Perhaps he is most happy, even cocky, while flying; but on the ground he is cautious, suspicious and taciturn.

yeah thats pretty much what i was thinking. He will brag about his ability to fly, or shoot a pistol, but without going into detail with what he has had to do with that pistol to survive.
Despite the fact that he is generally unlikeable, being as good a pilot as he is, he could have gotten another job before now. He has his reasons for staying on omega and making a living at gambling (possibly picking up some odd jobs for some merc groups here and there). I am not going to reveal all the sordid details of his past over the forums Razz

Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyThu 19 Jun 2014 - 0:09

So how many people were you wanting Matt? I'm guessing me and Lance is not enough :-P
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyThu 19 Jun 2014 - 7:44

Fiveish sounds good.
Back to top Go down
gaz
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
gaz

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyThu 19 Jun 2014 - 21:42

I'm in
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyFri 20 Jun 2014 - 8:56

Sweet gaz!  I'm sure I can lock in a couple more people.  I will start putting things together then.  Stand by for more info.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 23 Jun 2014 - 19:48

Mass effect 1 and two are currently on sale on steam for 8USD. GET ON IT!
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014 - 10:36

Quick update.

My Savage worlds Sci-FI companion arrived over the the weekend, which is awesome. Its got some good rules for cyberware, power armor and space ship conversions.

I am currently trying to sort out the gear.

Out of interests, for those who are ME lore savvy. Should we include cyberware in the game? I know that thanks to the Geth and the council VI is outlawed and people with cybernetic implants (obvious ones) are generally stigmatized.

I think most biotics get cyberware so they can use power packs though.

anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014 - 11:03

Vi is not illegal. Ai is. All ships will have some form of vi in them.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014 - 12:43

HappyNoodleBoy wrote:
Vi is not illegal. Ai is. All ships will have some form of vi in them.

Sorry i meant AI.
Back to top Go down
HappyNoodleBoy
+1 Cammando!
+1 Cammando!
HappyNoodleBoy

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014 - 12:56

alright, then in response to your question. Yes cyberware should be allowed. There are examples of it in game.

Spoiler:

So yes it should be allowed, but it should be extremely expensive and difficult to come by. Top tier characters would be able to get this sort of stuff, but for us (as im guessing are) low level flunkies, only able to obtain only the most very basic of cyberware.
Back to top Go down
Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
Lansirlot

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014 - 21:28

So yeah I'm digging this world. I especially enjoy the 80s sci-fi vibe mixed in there.

To that end I suggest - no, demand - that the ME soundtrack be a part of the aesthetic. As well as Blade Runner, etc.

I'm currently leaning towards a Sentinel type character - balancing biotics and tech. If that role is filled I'll go full retar- er, biotic. Razz
Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyTue 1 Jul 2014 - 8:20

Lansirlot wrote:
So yeah I'm digging this world. I especially enjoy the 80s sci-fi vibe mixed in there.

To that end I suggest - no, demand - that the ME soundtrack be a part of the aesthetic. As well as Blade Runner, etc.

I'm currently leaning towards a Sentinel type character - balancing biotics and tech. If that role is filled I'll go full retar- er, biotic. Razz

I have been playing through ME1 again, as i have never finished it. Its amazing how much of a power house Liara is in ME1 where as in ME2 i never squaded her much. And Garus is the other way. Awesome in ME2 a meh character in ME1.

I will try and get the forum open for this game this week so we can start nutting out the basics. I have been slightly distracted by Civ 5 though.
Back to top Go down
Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
Lansirlot

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyTue 1 Jul 2014 - 10:27

Matt wrote:
I have been playing through ME1 again, as i have never finished it.  Its amazing how much of a power house Liara is in ME1 where as in ME2 i never squaded her much.

That would be because she isn't part of your squad in ME2. She's an NPC. Razz

Back to top Go down
Matt
Power house!
Power house!

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyTue 1 Jul 2014 - 10:32

Lansirlot wrote:
Matt wrote:
I have been playing through ME1 again, as i have never finished it.  Its amazing how much of a power house Liara is in ME1 where as in ME2 i never squaded her much.

That would be because she isn't part of your squad in ME2. She's an NPC. Razz

ahh that's right, you get the justicar lady instead.

All Asari look the same anyway.
Back to top Go down
Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
Lansirlot

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyTue 1 Jul 2014 - 13:16

At the moment I'm thinking of starting as an Omega character instead of ship's crew.

The idea is an Asari that was sold to the Eclipse as an indentured servant on Illium and brought to Omega.

The mercs use her mainly for her Mind Reading abilities against their rivals, which makes her a target.

The contract from Illium expired, but the Eclipse refuse to give up the edge over their rivals.

They know where her family lives on Illium, so she cannot fight her way to freedom until the threat is removed.

Obviously, that's where the ship's crew comes in.
Back to top Go down
Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
Lansirlot

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyWed 2 Jul 2014 - 12:15

Just hashed out ship's crew positions with Matt.

Each PC will need a Primary and Secondary Role in order to cover all ship operations.

Primary Roles

Captain
Pilot
Engineer
Security x2

Secondary Roles

Yeoman
Quartermaster
Surgeon
Communications
Astrogation

A yeoman is in charge of supplies and cargo.
The Quartermaster traditionally has several designations, but for this instance we are going with Pirate Quartermaster - the one who takes charge of boarding enemy vessels and land-based strikes. It's his duty to plan and coordinate attacks and keep his team alive. Doing so requires a fair amount of investigation - know your team, know the terrain, know thy enemy, etc.

Suggestions:
The Captain is always the face of the ship, and as such communications will likely be his secondary role, though he may prefer the cargo bay.
The Pilot can easily take on astrogation in his role, but may wish to help with communications or cargo, leaving the charts to the Captain.
The Engineer is in a good position to help with cargo and supplies.
Either one of the enforcers could take up the role of surgeon, quartermaster or yeoman.

Being a smuggling vessel, we are not in need of highly specialized roles - xenobiologist, science officer, etc. Each secondary role is fairly minor but still essential to running a ship. For example, the Surgeon role won't be required for anything less than serious trauma, because medigel. However, the secondary role will also help flesh out your character - is our Pilot finicky about his ship or does he only care for what's in the cockpit? Is our Captain a charismatic and influential leader or an implacable, taciturn workhorse?

Have a think.
Back to top Go down
Lansirlot
Forum Douche'
Forum Douche'
Lansirlot

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. EmptyWed 2 Jul 2014 - 19:09

Further Suggestions:

An Engineer who takes yeoman is a busy little bee,in a constant state of maintenance, while an astrogator engineer knows what his ship is capable of and can adjust her sails/power output with practiced instinct in any region of space.

A Captain who takes yeoman is a smuggler with an inventory datapad grafted to his hand, always running the numbers, while an astrogator captain is a daring pioneer, always looking for the next big payload.

A Pilot who takes coms is a well-connected swindler with a dozen boltholes, while a pilot yeoman cares more about his ship than anything else.

A Security enforcer who takes Surgeon is a more effective killer due to his anatomical knowledge but choosier about his targets, while a security yeoman guards the ship and keeps his eyes on the payload at all times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Game pitch.    Mass Effect Game pitch. Empty

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect Game pitch.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next